Broadway Golf Club: In line with government guidance the COURSE, CLUBHOUSE and PRACTICE FACILITIES are CLOSED.
The club was originally established in 1895 and the present golf course started in 1910.
The latter half of the 19th century saw Broadway village in a transition phase. For 200 years it had been a major coaching centre, located as it is on the Worcester, Oxford, London Road, but in 1860 the opening of the railway in Evesham made coaches obsolete almost overnight. Gradually the village changed into a beautiful, quiet backwater, a Mecca for the elite of Victorian society.
Into this arrived a man, who according to his contemporaries, was quite remarkable; he had unbounded energy, great organising skills, and a sort of Pied Piper magnetism that drew everyone into his schemes. This man was Dr Charles Turner Standring, and at the age of 29 he reorganised the Cricket Club, formed the Football Club, became Secretary of the Tennis Club, and most importantly founded the Golf Club - in other words he was the prototype sporting doctor. With some friends he began to play on a few holes “some extemporised links in Deans Meadow” (now the home of the Cricket Club) according to the contemporary Evesham Journal. This “taster” must have been successful because they sought better facilities. In fact it took 4 further moves before the club finally became settled on what we now call “the bottom 9” in 1911, to be increased to 18 holes in 1962. The first match was played against Alcester in 1894 and the club (by this time on the hill below the Broadway Tower) was instituted on April 18th, 1895, with Dr. Standring as Captain.